2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Calling all medievalists...

Get ready to run, fly, swim to Hobart for a pre-Christmas treat. Seriously, Carolyn Dinshaw is simply one of the most exciting medievalists going around at the moment. She's a brilliant speaker and this will be a rare opportunity to spend a day or two with her in beautiful Hobart (place of my birth: ahem). As you can see from this outline (click to enlarge), her current work engages a "queer history" of temporalities, and I think this will be a conference Not to Be Missed. You'll have made your Christmas pudding well before then, anyway.

1 comment:

JTNk said...

Thanks for stopping in on brainsfor25cents and leaving your warm welcome! I've been reading your blog ever since I heard some grad-students and post-docs from Canada talking about it at the Piers Conference in May. It's wonderful to read your perspectives on researching and teaching in the humanities - and, not knowing much about Australia, it's fascinating to hear about your university system. You do an inspiring job of keeping work as a medievalist and academic in a real life context - family and friends, community, travel, computing, house-projects, health... It is hard, especially as a grad-student with reduced public responsibilities, to see out from behind the books sometimes. In the long (yet too short) hermetic months of the American summer, it's even harder to see ahead to the kind of professional life waiting at the end of the dissertation tunnel. Reading your voice offers comfort and insight. Thank you for writing it and posting so diligently. I never got to say how nice it was to have you in St. Louis - I hope to see you in Kalamazoo, Swansea, or elsewhere!