2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Sunday, June 08, 2008

Why I love the intertubes

Dr Virago's post on Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" video prompted me to search for a video I had never seen, but always knew of: her "Hounds of Love", which features my ex brother-in-law as the male lead. The story in this video seems almost completely obscure to me, but it's great fun to see Gow in this role. He was a dancer with the Australian ballet, but was living in London with convenient English ancestry when my sister was wanting to stay on in the UK. He is a charming man (now working as a textile designer in Japan, after some major health scares); and if you watch through to the scene where he is dancing with Kate, you can get an idea of the fun I had at my sister's second wedding, when I got to dance with him. I am a pretty hopeless dancer (can never get free of wanting to move my feet to the beat of the music), but knew enough to recognise the bliss of being partnered by someone who knew what they were doing. How delightful to find him, sitting at my desk this morning!

1 comment:

Ampersand Duck said...

he looks like a fabulous dance partner. Weren't you lucky!

One of my fondest memories of school is my year 10 formal, when we had to dance in a circle of partners and move from man to man as the music progressed. All the men over forty (this was in the early 80s) just took command, and I was swirled around the floor, politely. Everyone else just danced, and there was such a different feel to the dancing.

Dancing confidently in pairs is a skill that seems to have gone in modern times, and the part of me that treasures old-fashioned skills (like craft bookbinding) feels sorrow about that.