2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Friday, July 25, 2008

From the Heathrow lounge

So I wonder what demon made me open up my laptop and check the news while I wait to board my plane, so that the first thing I see is a picture of a Qantas jet on the flight I am about to board, a day later, with a dirty great hole in the fuselage, and a report of a terrifying 20,000 foot drop. I'm kind of pleased, now, I wasn't able to change my flight and go home a day early...

It's been such a mixed trip, with the first week of misery and homesickness and depression gradually giving way to the pleasures of intellectual and social exchanges, some productive research, two intriguing conferences, and a good chance to throw around some ideas and plans with various folk. I've had lots of good ideas, and was treated last night to an Australian barbeque with my sister's family in Barnes: fantastic steaks, sausages, salads and Taittinger (courtesy Tom, of course!), and then a concert from my incredibly talented and lovely niece and nephew. Imogen and James are both accustomed singers, but just stood up and sang for the group with such aplomb: I thought I was bursting with pride till I looked over and saw my sister's face.

I've bought Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake to read on the plane, and am not going to do a skerrick of work. I'm going to watch a movie or two, listen to music, and just try and chill, as it will be a busy week next week catching up.

1 comment:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Eeek!

Are you safely home yet? I'm a bit fuzzy about all the timing. Looking forward to the "Oh thank God I'm home" post -- except that it sounds as though you're going to be too snowed under with work to write one. Dang.