2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Friday, April 03, 2009

New York vignette-ette

A tiny note from New York, because it's late and I have to get up early to go back to Philadelphia...

My host, Chris, described a fabulous picture he'd seen of the Obamas meeting the Queen. He commented on how they seemed to dwarf her. In between lunch and my talk tonight at NYU I walked and walked, from 4th street up to the New York Public library on 42nd street, and back, and picked up a copy of the paper. It's the New York Post, and while the photograph (queen, possibly shrunk a little through being 82 years old and all, in pink dress; Barack in nifty suit; and Michelle in — oh my goodness, the kinds of clothes I wear: black skirt, white singlet top, black cardigan) is great, in that the Obamas are really so very much taller (the Queen's hair meets her forehead where the second row of Michelle's pearls sit), the caption is priceless:

ROYALTY!
And Mrs. Windsor, too

Apologies for the syntax and punctuation in that last sentence: we had a very lovely dinner after the talk.

3 comments:

Mary Kate Hurley said...

Stephanie -- lovely to meet you at NYU. The talk was really interesting and productive in a number of ways, and I'm looking forward to seeing you again at Kalamazoo!

This old world is a new world said...

Hi Mary-Kate, What fun to meet you and Dan! I had the *best* time in NYU, and it'll be great to be back soon for a bit longer. My first Kalamazoo: I am already booking up my social calendar...

McDuck said...

Haha, you've got to give the press some credit; they can caption like nobody's business!

Oh, and congrats on your presidential dress-sense, mama.