2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Monday, July 20, 2009

Dame Eleanor's Lessons for Girls

Dame Eleanor Hull was a fifteenth-century English woman who translated psalms, amongst other things, into English.

These days, she writes an excellent blog.

She has recently put up a wonderful discussion on social grace in academic circles, with neat hints on negotiating the extremes of righteous anger and good girly compliance. Or, how to behave like a professional adult without being a manipulative, instrumentalist networker.

I particularly like the idea of practising these scripts on the cat.

2 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

I practise all my scripts on the cats!

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

Thanks for the shout-out!