2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Eating in Public again (kind of): Vindaloo Against Violence

It's hard not to get the sense that the problems of street violence and racism in my beautiful city are somewhat intractable. Yet it was also hard not to be swept up in the popular movement of eating Indian food today to demonstrate solidarity with Indians resident or visiting or studying here. Indian restaurants have been booked out for the day, and there's a big facebook group, apparently. I was going to suggest we ordered Indian take-away tonight, but when P came home he went straight into the kitchen and started preparing a delicious eggplant curry. It's not just about celebrating multiculturalism in the way we now eat globally, but the idea of commensality — sitting and eating together — with a common purpose.

So I'm going on record to say I abhor violence altogether: whether it's racially motivated, the opportunistic copy-cat drawing of a knife, the murder of a little girl, a classmate in the schoolground (two recent examples from Queensland), or ... I don't know ...  the everyday and everynight violence against women, too. If cooking and eating together can slow down even a little such violence, I don't care how daggy or idealistic it seems: pass me another poppadum.

1 comment:

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

Well, and besides, from a purely selfish point of view, it's rather a nice celebration of what I find personally the most significant and delighting contribution of Indian culture to Australian society - lots of very very good (vegetarian) food!

And surely celebrating rather than arguing is a more productive road to integration?