2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, January 07, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: Memorials (1); and Questions (1) about book structure

Along the Merri Creek path there are various memorials and markers. Here are three very similar ones, all from 1985, and all using a huge boulder of local stone.




But here is a more recent marker from the same path along the Merri Creek, less commemorative and more instructional or indicative in nature. Not only are the graphics quite different, even quite cute (cute dog and cute snake, while the "carry out rubbish" makes this inner-urban park seem like a wilderness campsite) but the stone is markedly different, both in shape, orientation and quality. 


This contrast provokes me to start thinking about how I am going to organise my book. Topographically? a chapter about the Merri Creek. Thematically? a chapter about memorials. Chronologically? a chapter about historical styles? Politically? I suspect this marker isn't made from local bluestone at all, but from the Chinese bluestone Melbourne increasingly uses to preserve its local heritage styling.

No comments: